I had never seen a roaster oven before I married my husband. His mom and grandmother both have one and they are ancient. But they ROCK. They use them all the time and I have come to appreciate their usefulness! When you’re preparing a big meal (like Christmas dinner!) your ham or turkey or whatever can cook in the roaster oven and not hog up space in the oven. Very handy!
I also happen to live in Florida, so it’s nice to be able to not turn the oven on at all. On at least 1 occasion, I’ve put the roaster oven in the garage in order to keep the kitchen cool! (side note – today is 12/26/08 and it was 80 degrees out! ACK!)
Yield: Depends on how big your ham is
This produces a flavorful and moist ham. I’ve made this more than once and always with success! (works just as well with a regular ham or spiral slice)
15 pound fully cooked smoked ham
2 cups water
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1. Remove rack. Pour 2 cups water into insert pan and preheat roaster oven to 325°F.
2. Trim thick part of fat off of ham down to 1/4-inch. Score remaining layer of fat into diamond design; this will help hold glaze.
3. Place ham on rack and place in roaster. Combine remaining ingredients to make glaze. Bake 1 hour.
4. Remove cover and spoon half of glaze over ham. Replace cover and bake 1 more hour.
5. Remove cover and spoon remaining glaze over ham. Replace cover, increase temperature to 400°F and bake for 10 minutes to set glaze. Internal temperature of ham should be at least 140°F.