This rice was a real treat. Sligthly spicy, very creamy, chock full of good stuff! It was like risotto or even jambalaya. Worth repeating!
Basque Vegetable Rice
This is a versatile rice. You can add all sorts of vegetables or spicy Italian sausage for a heartier dish. Use Arborio rice for a creamier dish or short-grain paella rice, such as Valencia rice.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small dried red chili pepper, broken (can substitute crushed red pepper flakes)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 teaspoon paprika, preferably Spanish
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 1/4 cups short-grain white rice, Valencia or arborio rice
3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
2 tablespoons parsley, fresh minced for garnish
1. Heat oil in 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat.
2. Add chile pepper, onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until onion is soft but not browned, about 6 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
4. Add rice; stir to coat well with the tomato mixture.
5. Add broth; bring to boil.
6. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, 25-30 minutes.
7. Serve hot directly from pan; garnish with parsley.