I found this recipe online and altered it a little bit (which is the version you’ll see below). It could not have been easier and was VERY tasty! A slightly sweet/tart, not super cabbage-y side dish. I hope you’ll try it!
Ruby Red Braised Cabbage
1 small head of red/purple cabbage
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup port
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 granny smith apple
1) Divide the cabbage into quarters. Cut away the core around the stem. (If you’re not sure what I mean by this – here’s a great demonstration with pictures!). Cut the cabbage into thin strips.
2) Place the shallots, red wine, port, and vinegar in a dutch oven. Bring to a boil and let simmer 5 minute or until reduced by about one-third.
3) Add the cabbage and salt to the pan, stir to combine.
4) Grate the granny smith apple with a box grater (the coarse grate is fine) into the cabbage mixture. Stir to combine.
5) Cover the pot and allow to simmer on a low heat for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally. Because you added the salt to the cabbage, it should release plenty of liquid, but watch to make sure that the cabbage doesn’t get too dry. If you need to, you can add some more red wine or some water! (I did not need to do this step, but just in case!)