Our first Meatless Monday and it was a rousing success!! This pasta dish is pretty much as close to heaven as it gets for me. I had 5 lbs of zucchini and squash to use from my CSA box. It just so happens that one of my favorite summer dishes is a simple saute of squash and onions. It also happens that I love goat cheese with all my heart. Pasta makes me happy. (see where I’m going here??)
This is super easy to put together and we all loved it! I am the happiest foodie on the planet – my (almost) 2 year old gobbled the heck out of this. She HATES zucchini, but covered in goat cheese, well, I guess that’s a different story!
Yield: 6 servings
1 pound uncooked Fettuccine
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups thinly sliced onion (half a large white onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 pounds of zucchini, sliced into thin rounds
1 1/4 tsp kosher salt, divided
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
8 ounces herbed goat cheese, divided (use the log kind, not the pre-crumbled!!)
1) Cook the pasta according to the directions on the box. Drain the pasta, but reserve 2 cups of the pasta cooking water.
2) Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and slightly browned (about 5 minutes). Add the minced garlic and saute 30 seconds.
3) Add the zucchini, 1/2 tsp kosher salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper to the onions. Saute until the zucchini is tender and slightly browned (6 to 8 minutes).
4) Reduce heat to medium. Stir in 6 ounces of goat cheese, 1/4 tsp black pepper, 3/4 tsp kosher salt (yes, really!) and 1 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water. Stir until the cheese is completely melted and nice and ‘saucy’! If you need more water, add it as you see fit. I only needed the 1.5 cups, but you might like it saucier!!
5) Serve the pasta onto individual plates. Top with zucchini and sauce. Sprinkle the remaining goat cheese on the top. Enjoy!!